A beloved classic Moroccan tagine recipe for meatballs seasoned with tomato sauce. Meatballs traditionally have a fairly small form and many Moroccans love to poach eggs in the sauce just before serving them.
Serve with crisp bread to dip in sauce and pick meatballs by hand.
- 400 g ground meat
- 3 eggs ( OPTIONAL )
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sweet pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered cumin
- 1/2 bunch of parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- Mix the ground meat, 1/4 of the chopped onion and half the bunch of parsley. Add the chilli powder, cumin and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and mix everything together and form small balls to put aside.
- In tagine, put very small chopped tomatoes, add chopped onion (can also be grated), chopped parsley, remaining salt, pepper and oil.
- Cook over low heat for 5 to 10 minutes, adding 1/2 cup water if the tomatoes are not juicy enough.
- Add the meatballs and cook for 15 minutes over medium heat.
- OPTIONAL : Break the eggs in the tajine (as if you were making fried eggs) and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove immediately from the heat and the eggs will cook with the heat of the tajine.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper if necessary and eat right away.