Taktouka is an easy recipe made mainly of very simple ingredients: green bell peppers, tomatoes, garlic and olive oil.
The Moroccan way to eat it taktouka by dipping some bread into it but it is also great in a sandwich, as a spread or as a side dish next to a grilled meat or fish.
- 6 ripe fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 3 large fresh green peppers (roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped)
- 3 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped or pressed
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriandre
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- pinch of cayenne or red pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Mix all ingredients together in a large casserole or a deep skillet. Cook over medium heat, for about 20 minutes or until the tomatoes have softened. Stir occasionally. Adjust the heat if necessary to keep the tomatoes and peppers from burning as the liquids evaporate.
- With a spoon keep mix all the ingredients together. Leave to simmer gently for 10 minutes until all the liquids evaporate.
- Serve taktouka warm or cold with crusty bread, as a side or a filling in a tasty sandwich!